Stay connected with me =)

http://instagram.com/jamila_ajhttps://twitter.com/AidaJamilahttp://www.youtube.com/user/jamilaxaj

Dienstag, 17. Dezember 2013

The Challenge: Sk-II Facial Treatment Essence vs. Missha The First Treatment Essence



Two products made from the same main ingredients, but different priceses. Doesn't this challenge sounds interesting?!?
I was blessed to have the honour to try both products. Finally I decided to compare these two products with each other.

My first product was from Missha. It's essence completely changed my life. (Check out here more about it) After using this product for a few months, I came across the SK-II Essence at the duty-free section at the Narita airport. I couldn't resist and had to buy it. I only got the small bottle, because I was almost out of Yen.

I can't imagine my live without using one of these essences anymore. From the moment I started to use these types of essences, my skin has changed drastically.

Origins

SK-II

Probably the most famous japanese brand ever. Not only because of the Facial Treatment Essence, but also because of their other products.
Many girls dream to own this company's products, but many can't afford buying them.

Missha

A korean skincare brand, mostly known for their BB Creams. They offer high-quality products and are well-known in many countries. The prices are really reasonable

Seems like a battle of two countries. =)

You might would think that these two products are identical but they are not. It starts already from the main ingredient.



Main Ingredient

Both products main ingredient is fermented yeast extract, but there is a thiny difference.

SK-II - Pitera

SK-II has the only right in using Pitera, which is a sake-based component. It was discovered back in the 70's in Japan, when they started to wonder how come the sake-brewers always had soft and youthful hands.
They started to make researches about yeast and they found that component in it, which they called Pitera .
The essence contains 90% of Pitera.


Missha - Fissione

Missha instead uses a component called Fissione. This component is a cerevisae-based (belongs to the Fungi family; also used for winemaking, baking and brewing). They say the essence contains 80% of this ingredient.

Both companies call their ingredients "miracle" components. They are both naturally delivered.

Other ingredients

SK-II

  • Saccharomycopsis Ferment Filtrate         The so called Pitera: Moisturizing, Antioxidant
  • Butylene Glycol                                      Solvent, Moisturizing
  • Pentylene Glyco                                     Moisturizing
  • Water                                                    Solvent
  • Sodium Benzoate                                   Preservative
  • Methylparaben                                     Preservative*
  • Sorbic Acid                                            Preservative

Missha
  • SACCHAROMYCES FERMENT FILTRATE                             Moisturizing
  • PROPANEDIOL                                                                   Solvent, Moisturizing
  • GLYCYRRHIZA GLABRA (LICORICE) ROOT EXTRACT           Anti-Inflammatory, Whitening
  • NIACINAMIDE
  • POLYQUATERNIUM-51                                                        Moisturizing
  • BIFIDA FERMENT LYSATE
  • AMARANTHUS CAUDATUS SEED EXTRACT
  • RAFFINOSE                                                                        Moisturizing
  • ULMUS DAVIDIANA ROOT EXTRACT
  • PENTYLENE GLYCOL                                                          Moisturizing
  • PIPER METHYSTICUM LEAF/ROOT/STEM EXTRACT
  • GLYCERIN                                                                           Solvent, Moisturizing
  • BETA VULGARIS (BEET) ROOT EXTRACT                             Pigment
  • HYDROLYZED CORN STARCH                                              Moisturizing
  • CENTELLA ASIATICA EXTRACT                                            Anti-inflammatory, plant extract
  • PORTULACA OLERACEA EXTRACT
  • PHENOXYETHANOL                                                             Preservative
  • CHAMOMILLA RECUTITA (MATRICARIA) FLOWER EXTRACT                  Fragrance, anti-inflammatory
  • ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS (ROSEMARY) LEAF EXTRACT                    Astringent, plant extract
  • PHELLODENDRON AMURENSE BARK EXTRACT                 Anti-inflammatory
  • CASSIA ALATA LEAF EXTRACT
  • TROMETHAMIN                                                                    PH ajuster
  • WATER                                                                                Solvent
  • ADENOSINE
  • ETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN                                                       Moisturizing
  • HYDROGENATED LECITHIN                                                  Emulsifier
  • ACETIC ACID
  • LACTIC ACID                                                                         Astringent,Whitening
  • SODIUM HYALURONATE                                                       Moisturizing

As you can see the ingredient list from Missha's essence is by far longer than the SK-II essence.
It might appears that with all those ingredients it might be bad for the skin, but I did researches on those ingredients and there was nothing suspicious. On the opposite, I noticed that Missha has also whitening and anti-inflammatory ingredients, which the SK-II doesn't have.

Both are alcohol- and oilfree.

*Unless SK-II, Missha is paraben-free

The benefits

SK-II - 5-in-1

  • Texture
  • Radiance
  • Firmness
  • Even Skin Tone
  • Wrinkle Resilience

Missha - 8-in-1

  • Defining
  • Lifting
  • Hydration
  • Rejuvenation
  • Anti-Wrinkle
  • Tone Balance
  • Restoration
  • Radiance

More or less both products have the same benefits. Missha has slightly more than SK-II.

When to apply

Both products are applied the same way:

  • Right after cleansing the face, as the first step before your moisturizer.

Price

This is probably the most interesting part of this entire post.
SK-II is 3 times more expensive than Missha.

Let's compare the price for a bottle of 150ml:

Missha             $52.99

SK-II              $155.00

Difference      $102.01   

As you can see there is a big difference in the price!! With the price of one SK-II bottle you can almost buy 3 bottles of the Missha essence!!

I took the prices from both official US-Websites. 


The result of using these products

Missha

In my review on this product, I swore by it!! I still stand for it. When I started to use this product, my skin was full with acne, red spots, uneven skin texture, uneven skintone and dull. Basically I could look in the mirror and I felt like crying.
I remember that it didn't took much time until I noticed process while using this product.
My skin has become much better. I don't have many breakouts, they seam to heal faster. I have less red spots and my skin tone looks more even.

SK-II

I started to use this product right after the Missha First Treatment Essence. I was using it for about 2 months.
I didn't really noticed much of a difference in the first months. I thought that this is the limit at how powerful these essences are. After all they saved me.
In the second month I realised that my skin has improved even more. I basically only have hormonal acne which is really hard to get rid of and surely not with skincare products. The red spots have almost gone away. My skin looks more hydrated and feels really soft.


I would say that the Missha First Treatment Essence has the faster healing process. They also claim that you should see results within 4 weeks.
As for SK-II it first appears that it doesn't really work, but it just takes a bit more time for it to show results.
Basically both products do what they promise. Both are incredibly amazing.

Outcome of this Challenge


This leads me to one conclusion. If both products are amazing, why should people buy a product that's much more expensive than the other one that's almost the same, when not better? Is it only for the name? Then again Missha is not a drugstore brand eighter. It is a really precious brand just like SK-II.
It appears to me that SK-II is soon forced to lower their prices.


As it looks like Missha was really trying hard to beat SK-II with their own Essence. What do you think about it? Did they manage to take down the luxurious brand SK-II?
Let me know down below what you think about it.

As for me, I will probably switch back to the Missha Treatment Essence, just because it was the first product that I used and it changed my face completely.
If I would have started first with the SK-II Facial Treatment Essence, I would have probably used it forever, despite being that expensive.
I just feel more familiar with products that show me a great result and that's what happened with the Missha Treatment Essence. =)


Kommentare:

  1. Interesting! I tried the SK-II one and it gave me allergic reaction :( Guess my skin didn't react well to pitera. But glad it works for you!

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Sad to hear that!! Hope you didn't buy the entire bottle.

      Löschen
  2. It's good that Missha worked really well on you. SK II did nothing on me, while Missha gave me one painful zit on each of my cheeks. Never happened before, my cheeks are usually the cleanest area of my face!! I'm still trying to understand the ingredients deeper.

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Oh I'm sad to hear that!! =( Hope your skin as recovered from it!!

      Löschen